Lifestyle Newborns-What to Expect
Thanks so much for reserving your session! I am thrilled to meet you and your newest addition!
Below are instructions to help your newborn session go smoothly!
• Turn the temperature up! It may be pretty warm for us, but babies will be so much happier when they are warm. 72-74 degrees is probably just fine for Summer, and 76 in the winter.
• Open all the blinds. I like to use natural light when possible, so this will let me see where all the light is coming from. I will scope out your home for areas with the best light and the most picture friendly colors/decor. I primarily photography newborn lifestyle images in the nursery, master bedroom and living room. I will find the rooms with the best light and decor. No need to clean, but just try to hide away any distracting items for the session. One thing I will ask you to do is to have your bed made with a neutral quilt/comforter on top.
• I usually try to start around 10am the day of so we have plenty of daylight variety from different rooms. Please have baby in just a diaper, and swaddled in a blanket or something similar to keep red lines at a minimum. Try applying lotion to any dry spots the day before the session.
• If you and your spouse and any other children or pets want to be in any photos, that’s great. I recommend wearing muted tones, like grays, off white, navy, light blue, cream, etc. Black is fine too, but I think those other colors are softer, and allow baby to stand out even more. However, I want you to be comfortable, so wear what you feel best in. I prefer a more casual look overall, but not too casual (generally no polos or camping/fishing shirts for then men, and no t-shirts for ladies). Maxi dresses, and long sleeved items usually photograph well for mom. If you want to wait until I get there to have me help with what will photograph best, that's completely great. For baby I recommend in just a diaper or in just a neutral colored onesie. It’s rare to find any outfits that fit properly or that won’t be distracting in photos, so we will likely not use any baby clothes.
• Feel free to have some music/white noise playing if you'd like, and if baby is used to noises.
• Have any items you want used in the session beforehand such as blankets or stuffed animals. Feel free to incorporate any special family quilts, heirlooms or baby blankets that you would like to use in the photos. We’ll go through these together to determine what and how we can use the items in your session. I have lots of cute newborn headbands for the girls as well as some bonnets if you’d like. I also have some wraps I can bring, too. I am happy to incorporate any ideas you might have.
Relax. If the baby gets fussy or alert, don’t worry. A baby can sense your anxiety and we want to keep the environment as calm as possible.
• Be patient. :) Lifestyle sessions can average about 2 hours depending on how well they are sleeping.
• I offer gentle guidance for posing to get the ball rolling and help clients settle in.
I will make use of your home, your décor, your furniture, etc… I may need to move some things around or take a frame off the wall, and will move everything back.
I love to capture the relationship between the new baby and his/her parents and siblings. I will also take individual photographs of the baby and capture some detail shots of his/her little toes and fingers.
I always aim to deliver your final images as soon as possible, you will receive them no later than three weeks after your session.
Please let me know your preferred color palette, and if you have specific items you'd like to use of yours.
*All wraps and blankets are washed with 100% dye and perfume free detergent.
Can't wait to meet you and your newborn!